Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Eclipse Starting with a Specific workspace


As I am working for different client at one given point of time, so sometimes it becomes cumbersome to switch the workspaces for different clients. Even sometime it is mandatory to open more than one eclipse and work with them in parallel. So managing them and switching between workspaces not only consumes times but also irritates.

I wanted to tackle this issue by creating different shortcuts for each workspace. Eclipse has easy solution for my problem.

To create shortcut to open eclipse with a particular workspace follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Browse to eclipse installation folder and right click on eclipse.exe.


2. You will see a shortcut at your desktop. Open the shortcut properties menu which pops up a shortcut properties.

3.In the target add the following text -data <YOUR_WORKSPACE_LOCATION>


4.Click on OK.

Now once you click on the shortcut, it would not prompt you to select the workspace and it will open the workspace associated to the location specified.
Now you can create as many as shortcut you want and refrain from switching between the different workspaces.

2 comments:

  1. A better way to manage this is to use something called as "Working Sets". Having different workspaces doesn't make sense to me. But again, I don't exactly know your situation. If you don't know about Working Sets, have a look, and see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard the term long back but I never used it. But still it is more convenient to me.

      As different clients have various projects, so to manage all of them in one Eclipse work space is cumbersome to me. So I maintain a different workspace for each client.

      Though I would like to explore more about working sets.

      If you have some information about using working sets,share it with me.

      Delete